The third installment in Pastor Carter’s summer sermon series, S.W.B. ‘Single With Benefits’ , continues with “Are you the one?” Pastor played the role of traffic control, along with revelation from God’s Word, and the help of the Holy Spirit, he gives us the best ‘route’ to finding the one, amongst the world’s crowded and backed up view of singleness.
There’s 5 signs we must be aware while on the path to finding the one:
- The Believer Sign (2nd Corinthians 6:14) If we’re going to be together, we’re going have to believe in the same God. Don’t be unequally yoked. One can’t be devoted to serving and living for God, while the other is in the world. Beware of ‘missionary’ dating. You can’t save someone living in the world on your own, just for the simple fact that you’re attracted to them. It won’t work. I believe this is the most important sign out of the five… that is until I heard the next one.
- The Baggage Sign. (Genesis 30:20) We all have issues. How do we deal with it? Where does Baggage come from? Families & Past relationships. You cannot let baggage from past relationships clutter the current relationship you’re in. Even unresolved issues with family will prove costly to your relationship, if not dealt with in the right manner. So the way to deal with your past baggage, is you have to admit you have it, own up to it, and “go home and unpack your baggage.” Release. Remove. Refresh.
- The Employment Sign (2 Thessalonians 3:10-12) Paul writes to the church and people of Thessalonia that “Christian life isn’t something you can just coast through.” The same pertains to a relationship. One of you can’t do all the work, while the other just coasts through. BOTH people should be contributing to the relationship. That means BOTH people should be providing and supporting the relationship financially, emotionally, AND spiritually!! This sign just doesn’t mean have a working job earning a paycheck, this also means be involved in growing with that person and connecting on a deeper level. staying active at work, home, and church!!
- The Self Control Sign (Galatians 5:22-23) Control yourselves!! This entire series has a common theme. Singles struggling with sex, loneliness, temptation, etc. Lack of self control. I even feel sometimes that I have no self control whatsoever! It’s a fruit of the Spirit. Without it, all the other fruits on the tree of righteousness won’t grow. Self Control is all about having discipline. Whether you struggle with money, greed, lust, or just being weak and lazy minded, Self control is key to getting back on track with your personal relationship with Christ, and a jump start and lasting foundation to a healthy relationship with someone. Communication, Trust, Agape Love is all key and important. All those elements are birthed from Self control!
- The Truth Sign (Proverbs 12:19,22) Simply put, TELL THE TRUTH. Proverbs 12:19 says ‘Truthful lips endure forever, but a lying tongue lasts only a moment.’ Verse 22 says ‘The Lord detests lying lips, but he delights in men who are truthful.’ If someone lies to you on the first date, whose to say they wont lie to you when y’all get married, assuming that it gets to that point… Being truthful shows your character and speaks about the integrity you have.
Out of all the messages, this is my favorite, because of the easy, simple layout plan of what to look for in the one. Best thing about it, it’s packed with scriptures from God’s Word!!
If you want to find the right one, YOU HAVE TO BE THE RIGHT ONE.